An introduction to effective, systematic searching by using PubMed.
Medical and Master students, PhD-students and researchers/staff at The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and St. Olavs University Hospital.
This course is held in English (if all participants are Norwegian speaking, the course will be held in Norwegian).
We have computers for the participants, but it is possible to bring your own laptop.The library has a wireless NTNU-network (Eduroam) and St Olavs-network for staff and guests.
This course is for you who want to learn more about systematic and effective searching for scholarly literature. In addtion to learning how to use PubMed, you will also learn about searching in general. This knowledge can easily be transfered to using other databases than PubMed. Here is a list of topics that will be adressed:
* Detailed introduction to PubMed.
* How to find search terms for your query,
* How to combined search terms in the best way by using Boolean operators.
* How to search for free text (author words) and keywords (MeSH).
* How to build an optimal search strategy
* How to handle a long list of retrieved references by using limits and filters.
* How to find full text of interesting articles.
* How to create a personal user in PubMed and store search strategies and create email alerts.