A comprehensive introduction to searching by using PubMed's new interface.
Due to the Corona-situation, this course will be offered as a web course in Zoom.
Medical and Master students, PhD-students and researchers/staff at The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and St. Olavs University Hospital.
This course is held in English (if all participants are Norwegian speaking, the course will be held in Norwegian).
Please bring your own computer. We have computers for the participants if this is not possible. The library has a wireless NTNU-network (Eduroam) and St Olavs-network for staff and guests.
You will get an email with more information after registration. Please note that this course has a 100% overlap with the obligatory PhD-course SMED8007.
This course is for you who want to learn more about systematic and effective searching for scholarly literature. In addtion to learning how to use PubMed and its new interface, you will also learn about searching in general. This knowledge can easily be transfered to using other databases than PubMed. Here is a list of topics that will be adressed:
* Detailed introduction to PubMed.
* How to find search terms for your query,
* How to combined search terms in the best way by using Boolean operators.
* How to search for free text (author words) and keywords (MeSH).
* How to build an optimal search strategy
* How to handle a long list of retrieved references by using limits and filters.
* How to find full text of interesting articles.
* How to create a personal user in PubMed and store search strategies and create email alerts.